Wednesday 22 May 2024

GOD INCIDENCES

Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.

Last Saturday I was digging out weeds from underneath our hedge in the front garden, and was crouching down leaning over on the pavement, but I had stopped to talk to a neighbour on a mobility scooter at the same time. Just then a car drove by and she stopped to wind down her window and asked if I was all right and did I need help? She thought I’d been knocked down by the mobility scooter and was offering to come to my aid!

How kind was that! I’d never met her before but she was being a caring neighbour from up round the corner somewhere. I thanked her and assured her I was fine but was just weeding, so she carried on her way. Sometimes all we hear are the bad stories on the media, but there are also lots of kind people and good things happening out there and it does your heart good to hear about them. The mobility lady had also just been telling me how her neighbours had been so kind and rallied round her when her husband passed away a few years ago.

Philippians 4:8 tells us to fix our thoughts on what is true and honourable, right and pure, lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. God doesn’t tell us to dwell on all the things that pull us down. I’m sure it would help us to hear some more of the many good things that happen and when I typed in “Good News” on the internet I discovered lots of websites recounting the good things going on around the world!

Let’s praise God for them because we know they’re not coincidence. They really are God incidences and all the goodness is God intervening on our behalf, but it’s easy to miss the significance of them and forget to thank Him.

Is there something you could share about that has blessed you, even if it seems insignificant? Maybe you could mention it to someone today and help them know good things do happen in our everyday lives and give God the glory. Or how about making someone else’s day and surprising them with a kindness. If we’ve received a kindness we can bless it forwards or as my grandma always used to say “If you’ve had a kindness shown, pass it on”.😊


Photo by Courtney Smith on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment